When some of our palms were getting too big, I took to them with a chainsaw and left the stumps about 180cm high. They quickly rotted on the inside and a pair of Rosellas started checking them out before nesting in one.
I'd taken lots of photos of the birds and then because I had never tried to paint birds, I decided to give it a go. Naturally, they are now "Our rosellas".
They are Eastern Rosellas and their colours are fantastic. I hope I have done them justice.
I used a bit of artistic licence with the stump and didn't try to make it look like a palm stump. I now have to work out how to preserve it so that the birds are encouraged to keep nesting there.
Can't wait to see the young hatchlings.